Aims and objectives
This study will evaluate the impact and implementation of the Mindset Teams programme in Scottish primary schools.
The study has three parts:
1: National and regional stakeholders Interviews with stakeholders will explore their understanding of the Mindset Teams programme and their perceived impacts.
2: Primary schools 13 Scottish primary schools (8 with established Mindset teams and 5 who are currently establishing Mindset Teams) will be recruited. Perceptions of delivering or being part of the programme and the potential impacts of it will be assessed with school stakeholders as follows:
- Focus groups will be conducted with primary school pupils (P5-P7 equivalent of Years 4-6).
- Semi-structured interviews will be undertaken with a member of the Senior Management Team, a Mindset Leader and a Mindset Champion.
- A self-report online survey of parents/carers.
3: Secondary data Routinely collected data will be analysed to assess the impacts of the programme on teachers and students as follows:
- Teachers involved in programme delivery at each school undertake a Mindset Teams training course. Before and after (at 6 months) the training course, each teacher is routinely sent an online survey.
- Routine attendance and academic performance data collated on all primary schools by the Scottish Government will examine impacts on students.
Before the evaluation commences we will recruit and work with one ‘Involvement School’ to help refine our recruitment strategies, the study materials, and the research tools. Also, we will be recruiting a parent to the Study Advisory Group to help us with the overall coordination of the study.